JOIN OUR FORUMS

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Vitality Evolution Forums Finding GOD Where is God?

• Where is God?

Oliver updated 1 year, 6 months ago 7 Members · 7 Posts
  • Ruth

August 30, 2019 at 7:57 am

Where is God? People say, “show me God.” But if God is invisible, how can he show himself?

• Alexander Clarkson

September 1, 2019 at 2:16 am

“And He is with you, wherever you may be; and God sees all that you do.” (Qur’an 57:4)

The idea that Allah is All-Watching is something most of us have grown up with. Even other faiths that believe in a god share the belief of an Omniscient and Omnipresent Being. Yet when we try to understand ‘where’ He is, it becomes confusing.

There are a number of traditions which try to clarify the ‘where-ness’ of God. Prophet Musa (peace be upon him) asks God, “Are You far away that I should call You, or are You near me that I should whisper to You?” And God replies, “I am (very) close to the one who remembers Me.” Imam Ali (peace be upon him) says in the first sermon of Nahjul Balagha, “He is with everything but not in physical nearness. He is different from everything but not in physical separation.”

• Eric Coleman

September 4, 2019 at 6:52 am

This question can be answered in different ways:

1-The creator cannot be similar to His creation. Space is limited and it is like a container that encompasses the created things. Location is a quality applied for the created things and therefore it is impossible to attribute a location to the Creator (God). And when we (religious people) say God is beyond nature, it doesn’t mean that God is SOMEWHERE beyond the nature, rather it means He rules the nature and He dominates the nature.

2-When we specify a place for something, we have limited that thing to a specific location while God cannot be limited in anyway.

3-It is also impossible to say that God is everywhere in the physical sense of the term if we mean He has filled everywhere because God is not material. If I say God is everywhere, this is true only if I mean that He dominates every place or He rules the whole space or that He has manifested Himself everywhere.

Most of the problems science has with the notion of God is deeply rooted in this misunderstanding and presumption that we can find an evidence for the existence of God in matter (nature) using material instruments.

• Steven

October 9, 2019 at 6:19 am

God is everywhere. God is with you all the time. God is with everybody all the time. The Bible says, “even the hairs on your head are numbered,” that’s how well God knows you.

“Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. 29“Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30“But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31“So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

32“Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. 33“But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.

34“Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. “

If you pray to the Christian God, He will respond to you. Maybe not right away, but He’ll respond in His own time (I call it “God’s time, not our time”). In the Bible, He promises, “seek and you will find; knock, and the door will open.”

If you’re a seeker, and would like to know if God really exists, keep talking to Him (praying). It’s OK to talk to Him about your faith or lack of it. For instance, that you wished you believed, but you just aren’t sure. Ask him for help to enable you to believe.

He actually came to me in the form of light while I was meditating and answered my questions, “Is Christianity the true religion? Did Jesus really die on the cross for my sins?” by burning so much brighter directly in response to each question.

When I later doubted myself and my experience, He came back and performed miracles of healing, told me I was healed, and told me I was one of His Chosen People. (Guess what, you get to be one of God’s Chosen People by believing in the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ in atonement for our sins. That’s all it takes to be given Eternal Life! AND He wants you to believe, so He will help you along.)

Warmest wishes for faith in Jesus Christ.

• Claudia

October 18, 2019 at 3:18 am

The truth is we cannot know.

Human beings do not possess the semitoics and hermeneutics to adequately describe God, in fact, we can only speak of God in a negative context (God is not corporeal, God is not in any single location, God is not evil, etc). I subscribe to Rambam’s suggestion that we can only acknowledge God’s existence…beyond that, no one can know. Baruch Spinoza was placed in Herem for deigning to suggest God is omnipresent in all things (Panentheism), and some Hassidic groups come very close to, if not already crossing, the line of pantheism.

In Hebrew tradition, the consonantal ketab can only indicate a sense which needs to be processed by the mikhtab reader acting as a writer. God, too, is not manifest in His creations: they only point out towards Him. This fundamental doctrine was taught by King Solomon. In his address celebrating the inauguration of the Temple, he proclaimed: “Behold the heavens and the heavens of heavens cannot contain you and surely not this house which I have built” (1 Malakhim 8:27). Neither the Temple in Jerusalem nor the Universe nor the Tora that He created can manifest God. In a vocalized word meaning is manifest. To the Hebrew mind, a Name manifesting God would be indistinguishable from an icon or an idol. Thus, we do not even refer to the creator, master of the universe, by name…we only refer to God through proxies.

The imperfections in the world are not the effect of a subaltern god, as per Gnostic theology, but the consequence of human failure to realize the “image of God” within. R. Hayyim ben ‘Attar (1696–1743), teaches that God’s manifestation is conditioned by the quality and disposition of the people. R. Ḥayyim Palaggi (1788–1869) developed this doctrine further. Moses could not perceive God as Merciful and Compassionate and Forgiving until he himself became merciful and compassionate and forgiving.

The rabbis taught: “Just as God is Compassionate, you, too, must become compassionate.” This doctrine also involves the reverse proposition: “Just as you are compassionate, God, too, is (i.e., will reveal Himself to you as) Compassionate.” In classical theology one can only ‘follow the gods’ in a series of pathological projections, as in political and religious mass-hysteria. In Hebrew Scripture, ‘God’ is existentially always ‘in the making,’ in terms of the syntagmatic relation ‘Adam/ Adon .’

Torah teaches that the Cosmos hangs “from the arms” of the Creator ( Devarim 33:27). The rabbis explained that “God is the place of the world, and” in the Hebrew sense of ‘consequently’—“the world is not the place of God.” The same principle was reiterated by Isaac Newton. “Bodies,” he explained, “find no resistance from the omnipresence of God.

• Josh

November 22, 2019 at 6:23 am

You’re going to have to ask yourself which exact god you are referring to. Is it God with a capital G, the one of Judaism, Christianity and Islam? Is it a set of gods? Is it a the one god that only some Hindus believe in over the other deities, or the other set of Hindu deities only? Is it the Nordic gods? Is it your own god? Your own deity? Is it a god which history forgot but you found and believe in?

If your god(s) lie beyond existence, the cosmos, etc. in a spiritual realm, your claim that he is there is only a claim. It is a completely metaphysical proposition: it has no basis in reality. It invents its own ideas of logic. Anything goes. You can believe that god exists in that state, outside of existence, without need of creation, but I can also proport the same for all other gods. There is absolutely nothing about your claim that holds any truth or fact over mine or others. This is why belief relies purely on faith – believing in it anyway for the sake of itself, without evidence.

You might have an idea of where God is, but your guess is as good as everyone else’s and lacks the evidence of every other claim.

Due to the fact that no evidence for God or any god(s) to exist, to not believe in one makes the most current sense. We’ve tried to find God, but haven’t found anything.

To me, the only plausible solution whilst also believing in a higher power is ‘irreligious, agnostic Deism’ – and even then I disagree with the possibility of it existing outside of existence. This belief is simply: a deity exists outside of everything, did not need creation, does not love you, does not give you an afterlife and did nothing more than set the Big Bang in motion.

Where is God? Currently, nowhere.

• Oliver

January 17, 2020 at 1:29 am

God is everywhere. He is invisible (spiritual, if you will). Reality consists of only two elements—God, and his creation. He is omnipresent, that is, in all places. It is impossible to be where he is not. Indeed, because we are created, our very molecules only exist at this pleasure and as long as he sustains them.

Of course, mortal and limited creatures cannot fully and properly understand such a being as God. We have to think of him in anthropomorphic terms to some degree, as needed to not have our heads explode. 🙂

In the Bible, God can be “near”, or “far.” In that sense, the human perceives him in terms of his presence in relationship to him. When God is near, the believer feels the blessing of his presence in terms of being aware of God sustaining him and caring for him. When he is “far’ the believer feels estranged. Of course that may be actual or not. We are limited at any point to really know. We can’t see an invisible God.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Skip to toolbar